Saturday, November 7, 2015

Star Wars Post IV: Some Hope

     So, you may have heard there is a new Star Wars movie coming out soon.  It is less than two months away and the hype/publicity machine is kicking into overdrive.  You may also be wondering(or, more likely, not wondering) why a self-proclaimed Star Wars fan like myself isn't geeking out like so many other self-proclaimed Star Wars fans are currently doing.  Why am I not re-tweeting, re-submitting, or re-blasting all things Star Wars related 24/7?  That is because this time I'm going to try and play it calm 'n cool and go in with an clear mind.  Those fans going all out for the new Star Wars?  Good on them.  They're having fun and that's what it's all about.  I'm not here to lambaste them or try to say who's the better Star Wars fan*.  I'm just here to express a little on why this fan isn't doing that.

     I'm not going to go into the gory details of my Star Wars fandom(at least not in this post).  I literally grew up with Star Wars(born in '74) and honestly cannot remember a time when it wasn't significantly in my life.  So back when it was announced that George was going to make the prequels, I stood up at attention and never took my eyes off the prize of a new Star Wars movie.  I had StarWars.com and TheForce.net constantly open on my computer so I would never miss a bit of info or rumor.  I read all the expert opinions, all the fan theories, and  even dove into some of the darker recesses of the internet to try and catch a glimpse of something that may or may not have been taken from the set or "found" on a network associated with the new movie.  I tried to collect everything(I still have Pepsi cans exploding in my garage) that had anything to do with the new movie.  I lived, breathed, ate Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace hype.  *sigh*

     When Menace finally had a release date and tickets went on sale I bought tickets for three consecutive showings.  Yes, you read that right.  THREE consecutive showings.  What could possibly go wrong, right?  *sigh*.  With the first showing my heart and head were so enraptured that I never blinked or thought during the movie.  "This is a new Star Wars!" was the only thing running through my mind as I watched Menace go by.  The second showing had me less a fanboy and more a concerned fan about what was happening on the screen.  The third showing?  The magic was gone* and now my critical thinking kicked in.  And it was not happy.

     To say Menace was a huge disappointment to me is an understatement.  It took Star Wars in the opposite direction of where the original went.  It was...not good.  But looking back now I can't help but think that part of the huge letdown was how hyped I was going into the movie.  My expectations were so high that I don't think anything could have lived up to them.  It was my destiny to be disappointed.  That doesn't excuse Menace in any way but it helped me prepare for the later movies.  J.J. Abrams has earned the benefit of the doubt based on his past works.  But then again, so did George.  After all, he did create the original and most of us thought he could re-create the magic again.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen and hopefully J.J. learned the lessons of George's mistakes and we get back to great Star Wars movies.  So far the only thing I've really spent time looking at this time around was the very first teaser.  That's it.  I'm didn't even bite on this whole"OMG! Why isn't Luke in any of the trailers?!?" mini-drama.  Only clarity.  This time I'm staying off the websites.  This time I'm not going out and blowing a paycheck on collectibles.  This time I'm not scouring the internet for rumors, theories, and what-might-be's.  This time my mind will be unclouded and focused.  This time, I hope, will be different.






fan*- Just like when it comes to the Athletics, there is no definition of what a "real fan" is.  You enjoy Star Wars the way you want to, I'll enjoy Star Wars the way I want to.

gone*- The magic was literally gone because of Midi-chlorians...thanks George, *sniff*...

No comments:

Post a Comment