Monday, August 19, 2013

Grampa...

I lost one of my Grampas last night.  I often think we take our Grampas for granted.  We assume that this strong yet comforting man will always be there for us to turn to.  A man who served proudly in the Korean War. A man who could fix anything you broke, often with some duct tape and good ol' American ingenuity.  A man who only drank Oly or Pabst back when they were considered a man's beer & not something for hipsters to pretend over.  A man who put in 8-10 hours a day working at a job but still came home to work his almond orchard and gardens.  A man who could be ornery and curt yet would still shed tears every time one of his dogs passed away.  A man who taught two rambunctious boys and one tomboy girl what it meant to work hard to get what you want out of life.  A man...

My Grampa was known for his gardens and freshest vegetables, next to his family they were what he was most proud of.  My Grandmother asked me to write a short poem for the service dedication to honor what he loved best doing:

My Garden, My Life

My garden is life
through which all were nourished
growing strong and vibrant
with my love and caring
to make sure all around me
were bathed
in my sun’s warm light
onions so tasty...so powerful
they’ll bring a tear to your eye
tomatoes so juicy...so zesty
you’ll be smiling for a week
peppers so crisp...so strong
even the coldest nights seem warm
My garden, my life

My garden is life
I put myself in my garden
each plant a small part of me
an image of my being
for all to see beauty and strength
full of life’s flavor, full of life’s color
and through the sharing of my garden
with all that I loved
I know I will be part
of the lives forever
of those who loved me
My garden, my life



No comments:

Post a Comment